home about review challenges rating reading projects

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Review: Gifted: A Donovan's Circus Novel by Liz Long

Gifted: A Donovan's Circus Novel by Liz Long
Release Date: April 18th, 2012
Genre: Young Adult
Source: BookBub, Amazon
Buy the Book: Kindle Version

My rating:  5 out of 5 stars

Goodreads:  Even in a world of freaks, being a Firestarter is considered a dangerous Gift.

Lucy was born with the ability to create and control fire. She longs to leave the human world for one filled with Earthshakers, Transporters, and Chameleons, to name a few. When she rejoins the circus, it’s everything she hoped it could be—new friends, a potential love interest or two, and a place where she can be herself.

When troupe members begin turning up dead, however, Lucy is suspected of foul play. She must not only prove her innocence but also realize the full extent of her power. To find the real murderer, she must uncover the truth behind her father’s fiery legacy while figuring out whom to trust within her new circle. Little does she know the history of the Donovan Circus and its enemies might actually destroy the entire gifted world.

My Review:  I have nothing but amazing, wonderful, fabulous things to say about this book.  I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!  While some reviewers have compared the book to X-Men, I know nothing about X-Men, so alas, I can not make that comparison.  This book is fast paced from the beginning, and it kept me engaged and interested through each and every character interaction and turn of the page.  

I loved the characters... even the ones I wasn't necessarily supposed to love.  Lucy is a spunky, in your face, edgy girl who has lost both of her parents, and found herself back in the circus.  She isn't sure where she'll fit in, or if she'll fit in, but she's determined to do so on her own without using his father's name.  I loved Lucy's love interest(s), but that's all I'm saying about that for fear of giving something away.

There is suspense, danger, action, romance, personal growth within each character.  I mean, what's not to love?!  This is Liz Long's debut novel, and I'll definitely be on the look out for book #2!

No comments:

Post a Comment