home about review challenges rating reading projects

Monday, May 23, 2011

Review: Room by Emma Donoghue

Room by Emma Donoghue
Release Date: September 13, 2010
Publisher: Little, Brown, and Company
Genre: Fiction
Pages: 321
Source: Library
Challenge: 100 Books in 2011
Buy the Book: Amazon

From Goodreads:

To five-year-old Jack, Room is the entire world. It is where he was born and grew up; it's where he lives with his Ma as they learn and read and eat and sleep and play. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits.

Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it is the prison where Old Nick has held her captive for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, and fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for Jack. But she knows it's not enough...not for her or for him. She devises a bold escape plan, one that relies on her young son's bravery and a lot of luck. What she does not realize is just how unprepared she is for the plan to actually work.

Told entirely in the language of the energetic, pragmatic five-year-old Jack, ROOM is a celebration of resilience and the limitless bond between parent and child, a brilliantly executed novel about what it means to journey from one world to another.

My Thoughts:

I'm going to admit something on this book - I never ever read a book that I can't get into. As bad as that sounds, there are just too many other books out there that are on my to be read pile, and I don't have the time to spend on a book that I just can't get into.

So Room was that book for me. I only read the first 25 pages before putting it down, so obviously I can't form a good opinion of this book. I'm not saying don't read it, it just wasn't for me.  This book truly gets great reviews on various book sites, so I truly hope someone will read it, and convince me to try it again.

1 comment:

  1. I am going to read this one I love your review on it too. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete